Style.

Textile Design Student, UK

florencehamm@hotmail.com

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Personal Brief Polyhedra



Within this unit, I intend to produce a body of 3D samples that reflect on what I have already explored. My project shows an exploration of colours and shapes taken from jars and bottles. My literal responses proved quite limiting so I looked at the objects from different angles. This developed into symbolic responses influenced by the ‘Hand Processes’ workshop, progressing onto the study of hexagons (the base shape of a jar), demonstrating some graphical illustrations. In this half of the project, I aim to use contextual references, ‘Printed Textiles’ and existing skills to highlight visual research that relates to my ideas, hopefully leading into large scale samples.
Various polyhedra prototypes.






Lazer Cutter- producing final shapes





Own photo, June 2011, The Eden Project


Final installation of polyhedra shapes, representing bottles and jars

The space is filled so shapes can be seen form any angle


On the right is my representation of a collection of bottles and jars. On the left is a single fabric bottle  with lace embellishment and a combination of machine and hand stitch.




Evaluation
I feel the second half of the project has been more enjoyable than the first. This could be because I have written my own brief and there has been more freedom in the direction of the project and less emphasis on the opposing words (dull shiny narrow wide). Because 'Sampling' has been quite a long project, I feel my work has developed quite easily into 'Polyhedra' and the pressure for a final outcome has been less as there was more focus on producing a body of experimental work than one final outcome. Since writing my own brief, I have always had a rough idea of how I would like the project to be concluded. I love the idea of filling or manipulating a space so an installation had always been an idea. I am very pleased with what I have produced overall. I feel I have responded to the tasks/briefs and linked them to my work accordingly. I have tried new techniques such as screen printing and the lazer cutter but I still think there is room for improvement For example, I would like to have understood the 'Lazer Cutter Converter' program more before applying it to my work and I should have researched more into what materials would have been suitable as the Frosted Acrylic I used proved to be expensive and as a result, prevented me from creating larger polyhedra shapes that I had originally planned. Despite this, the outcome still represented my ideas and linked with my samples. I have learnt to look at things laterally as it creates diversity in your work rather than not looking beyond the obvious.







No comments:

Post a Comment