Style.

Textile Design Student, UK

florencehamm@hotmail.com

Thursday 17 November 2011

Origins Critical Analysis

Origins’ has taught me to approach a brief differently. I have taken a literal view of the Manchester Town Hall but I have explored it in a non literal way. I have a clear starting point based around the exterior of the building, taking the linear aspect of the architecture and developing it through mixed media.  With the addition of the drawing and practical workshops, I have sub consciously furthered my project to show a clear link referring to this as well as showing a contextual influence. My project is starting to explore the idea of psycho geography as I have produced a video of me walking around the ground floor of the Hall. I then took the line that I walked and began to use it to produce a body of work relating to that and everything else I have studied. Psycho geography is "the study of the precise laws and specific effects of the geographical environment, consciously organized or not, on the emotions and behaviour of individuals."- Guy Debord.  I discovered this in the contextualising practice lectures after I began to explore it in my work. This has made me confident in what I am exploring and I intend to continue with this theme whilst being open minded to other areas. At the start of the project, I thought it would be challenging to produce a large body of work whilst keeping it linked with the workshops and drawing tasks. However, I produced monochromatic work to begin with like we were directed to in drawing and I am now starting to apply colour within the Digital Image Making workshop. Even though the drawing isn’t a huge influence on my work, it helped me at the very beginning as I struggled to settle in to the brief. I find that looking at other students’ work helps me to analyse the pros and cons to my work. For instance, I have learnt that producing work in a wide range of media makes for a more interesting sketchbook so I shall develop on my monochromatic linear work by exploring colours, textures and dimensions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment